How to Immigrate to the United States ?


The American dream – the concept that has not only revolutionized the continent of North America but managed to leave an everlasting impression on the minds of aspiring individuals all over the world. In  India, too, people from all sections of the society fight tooth and nail to get the American VISA to make it into the Land of opportunity. In this article, we will try to explain the three ways you can immigrate to the USA – The work Visa’s, Family sponsorship, and Study permits.

The Work Visa

Given the enormous work opportunities provided by the US, students and workers all over the world are attracted to the country in the hope of a safe and reliable source of income, especially from a country like India where the median annual income is just $1670(2016) while in the US it’s $57617(2016). Hence it should come as no surprise that over 50% of the immigrants from India obtain their lawful citizenship via this method.

There are a variety of Visa’s that an Indian can take to get immigration to the US a list of which is provided below

  • EB-1 – For highly skilled and intelligent individuals like a brilliant professor or researcher, an executive or manager specializing in handling international clients.
  • EB-2 – Should hold a masters degree or its equivalent or should have a bachelors degree with at least 5 plus years of experience

There are a few non-immigrant visas provided as well which can be converted to a permanent immigrant visa while working in the United States of America. It is highly advised to consult an immigration professional to be educated for the eligibility and also which particular visa is applicable to which field and which individual is suited for which visa. Here is a list of the non-immigrant visas available to Indians

  • H1-B – The worker has to hold must hold a US bachelors degree or more or the equivalent from an accredited college.
  • L-1 – The eligibility includes business owners. They must have worked for a subsidiary, parent, affiliate or branch office of the US company they are currently working in outside of the US for at least one year from the last three years.
  • O-1 – Considered as the non-immigrant equivalent of the EB-1 Visa you are eligible for this visa if you demonstrate extraordinary skill in your field which includes arts, sports, businesses education or sciences.
  • B-1 – The intention of your trip is to enter the United States of America for a business of nature (decided by the Visa office). You plan to remain for a specific limited period of time. You have sufficient funds and monetary means to cover the expenses of the trip and your stay in the United States.

Family sponsorship

This is a fairly easier way to get in the US provided that the monetary situation of your family is well and good and is settled in the US. There are multiple pathways a few of which include –

  • Petition for Alien relative – I – 130 – There needs to exist a valid relationship with a US citizen or a green cardholder and a person seeking a green card.
  • Application to register permanent residence or adjust status – I – 485 – To be used if you are in the United States and don’t want to return home for visa processing.
  • The affidavit of support – I – 864 -It is a contract an individual sign agreeing to use their monetary resources to support the applied immigrant named on the affidavit. The citizen in this scenario is usually the petitioner who has filed an immigrant petition on behalf of the intending immigrant.
  • Petition for Alien Fiance – I – 129 F – This form is used as a petition to bring your Fiancé and their children to the U.S. so you may marry your fiancé or Spouse and their children to the U.S. to apply for lawful permanent resident status

Again it is highly advised to consult an immigration professional to learn about the eligibility.

Study Permits

With the highest number of international students, by far it has been the prime destination for highly talented students and the children of the rich. With their research-friendly environments and start-up friendly investment policies, they bear the best of the minds in their country which is also the means of providing permanent citizenship to such individuals. The F Visa is to be applied in this case. For shorter periods the B visa (visiting) can be used but that will not grant permanent immigration. The F visa covers the following institutions : –

  • University or college
  • High school
  • Private elementary school
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Other academic institutions

Living in the country

  • How to pack and move abroad: it’s critical to sort out things which you might want to carry and which you don’t. So it’s better to decide well in advance with respect to storage services and movers & packers.
  • How to manage the money: opening a new account is quite difficult in the USA, you will need your proof of address, your secondary ID, your immigration documents, Indian bank statements, credit card history and also the certification of employment. And along with this your social security number and a deposit too.
  • Location – It’s important to find the location or property you want to live on, beforehand. Also, your settling on the property also depends on the type of visa you applied for.
  • Insurance – it’s better to get insurance done, where you come from and where you go.
  • Emergency number- whatever country you are residing in, it’s good to know the emergency numbers. In India, there are multiple emergency numbers with the most common being 100 for the cops and 112 for medical assistance. But in the USA, the emergency number is 911.

Overall it is very profitable to move into the US but needless to say it is a very rigorous process to get the green card. Hope this article helps you in your immigration process. Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *